How to remove dark spots on the face, which seems like a nightmare for many women. Actually, treating dark spots is easy and can be done without any side effects.
The dark spots or patches on the face do spoil your beauty, and your look and make you feel low. Fortunately, there are many handy, good, and natural home remedies available to remove dark spots on the face without much effort.
Before we begin with the natural remedies for the removal of dark spots on the face, let us get some insides to it.
Table of Contents
The causes of dark spots on the face
Excess discharge of melanin on the skin – Melanin is a black pigment responsible for tanning the skin and bringing about dark spots and patches.
- Direct sunlight & UV rays – Makes formation of melanin causing black pigments on the face
- Hormone imbalance
- Stress and anxiety
- Lack of Vitamins
- Lack of sleep
Types of dark spots on the face
- Lentigines – the dark spots on the face or skin caused by direct exposure to UV rays of the sun. Mostly affects elderly people above 50 years of age but is not limited to young men or women.
- Melasma – The main cause of the Melasma dark spots is due to hormonal imbalance in your system. The hormonal imbalances occur in women mostly during their pregnancy and during menopause. Hormonal imbalance is also the result of certain medications, the use of birth control pills, and thyroid dysfunctions.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) – Strain or disturbances in the skin causes PIH such as acne, skin treatments, burns, or psoriasis.
Here are the natural remedies to remove dark spots on the face: –
1. Lemon Juice to treat dark spots on the face
Fresh lemon juice comes on top of the list for the removal of dark spots on the face. Because it is easy, simple, effective, and accessible to anyone.
The Vitamin C-rich lemon juice when applied gradually lightens the dark spots on your face.
- Squeeze out a lemon to get fresh lemon juice in a bowl.
- Pick a small cotton ball and dip it in the lemon juice.
- Gently rub the cotton ball on the face where dark spots are present.
- Allow it to dry for sometime
- Now wash your face with lukewarm water
- Apply once a day for about two weeks to see the results
Precautions: If your skin is sensitive, mix lemon juice with rose water or honey before applying it to your face.
Do not apply lemon juice on the face when you have lesions or open sores.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is the best bet for the removal of dark spots on the face. Because of its healing properties. Aloe Vera is also well known for its usage in various beauty products.
The cool thing about Aloe Vera is the polysaccharides in the gel. It promotes the growth of new skin cells, removes dark spots, and heals scars. Aloe Vera also gives a glowing look to your skin.
The application and preparation of Aloe Vera are so simple.
- Extract gel from the fresh Aloe Vera leaf.
- Apply on top of the dark spots, patches, and scars if any.
- Massage the skin gently for the gel to get absorbed for a couple of minutes.
- Let it dry for about 20 minutes
- Wash it off with lukewarm water
- Repeat twice a day for about three weeks
Almonds are rich in vitamin E, healthy fats, and antioxidants. These properties of almonds lighten dark spots and scars. Also, of course, results in giving you immaculate skin.
- Soak about 10 almonds in milk overnight
- In the morning peel off the skin of the almonds
- Grind the almonds to prepare a face mask
- Add one teaspoon of sandalwood powder
- Add one-half teaspoon of honey
- Mix the ingredients nicely and make a paste
- Apply on the face also covering the dark spots
- Let it dry for about 30 minutes
- Repeat twice a week
Alternative applying by massaging with almond oil directly also helps to remove the dark spots on the face.
The bleaching properties of the potato will help to remove dark spots on the face. It can even lighten scars and blemishes. Nice about the potato is while removing dark spots the enzymes of the potato promotes healthy skin.
There are many ways you could use potatoes for application and here are the best and simple three ways.
- Make slices of potato. Put the slice on top of the dark spots. Let it be for about 5 to 10 minutes. After that, wash your face with lukewarm water.
- Peel the skin and grate the potato. Add one teaspoon of honey to it, mix it well and make a face mask. Apply the potato face mask to the affected areas. Relax your face muscles and allow them to dry for about 15 minutes. After that wash your face with lukewarm water.
- Extract potato juice into a tiny bowl. Mix it by adding very little turmeric powder and lemon juice to it. Apply the solution on top of the dark spots on the face. Let it dry for about 10 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water.
The natural oil present in the sandalwood helps to remove the dark spots on the skin. It also makes skin healthy and glows.
As you know sandalwood is traditionally used by women to have clear and glowing skin for ages.
- Pick one tablespoon of sandalwood powder in a bowl
- Add one tablespoon of glycerine
- Add 3 tablespoons of rose water
- Mix all well and make a paste
- Apply the paste over the dark spots on the face
- Let it be dry for about five to ten minutes
- Wash the paste off the face with lukewarm water
- Repeat this process daily once for about a couple of weeks.
The lactic acid in the buttermilk helps to remove the dark spots on the face. This does not cause any burning sensation on the skin when applied. The good about buttermilk is it also gives you glowing skin.
- Put 4 teaspoons of buttermilk in a cup.
- Mix it with 2 teaspoons of fresh tomato juice.
- Apply the mask over the affected areas.
- Let it dry for 15 minutes
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water
- Repeat twice a day for about four weeks
Turmeric is in use for ages by women to get glowing, soft, and silky skin. The properties of turmeric lighten dark spots and also heals damaged skin. It helps to lessen skin pigmentation and at the same time promotes healthy skin. Useful for the dark spots caused by direct sunlight.
- Take two teaspoons of turmeric powder
- Mix it with little fresh lemon juice and milk
- Apply directly to the dark spots on the face
- Let dry for about 10 minutes
- Wash the face with lukewarm water
- Repeat daily for about a couple of weeks
Oatmeal powder is ideal to exfoliate the skin. The saponins present in the oatmeal make it a natural skin cleanser.
Famously, oatmeal is used for making a facial mask to remove dead skin and dark spots on the face and neck. Oatmeal also repairs and renews the skin and makes it look fresh.
- Take ½ a cup of rolled oats and grind it
- Then mix it with 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Make a fine paste
- Apply the mask to your face, and neck and over the dark spots on the face
- Let it dry on the skin naturally
- Rinse the face with lukewarm water
- Repeat twice a week
Papain is an enzyme present in papaya that helps to exfoliate the skin by repairing and removing dead skin cells. In the process, it does remove the dark spots and clears the skin impurities. The papain enzyme also protects the skin from damage caused by the direct sun.
- Take one ripe papaya pulp and apply it on the face as a mask also over the dark spots.
- Let it dry for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse the face with lukewarm water
- Repeat the process 3 times a week
Alternatively, you could grate ripe papaya and mix it with fresh lime juice. Apply the mask over the dark spots and let it dry for about 15 minutes. Then rinse the face with water. Repeat at least twice a week.
10. Vitamin E
Vitamin E is what the skin needs to make it glow. It’s an excellent antioxidant. It repairs the skin cells and renews them. Even the intake of vitamin E-rich food helps your skin a lot to keep it healthy.
Get some pure Vitamin E oil and massage directly on the dark spots on the face. Apply daily to get your dark spots to disappear.
Include vitamin E-rich food in your daily diet. Some of the Vitamin E-rich foods are almonds, peanuts, wheat germ oil, sunflower seeds, and dried apricots.
Tips to avoid the formation of dark spots on the face
- Protect your skin from UV rays from the sun by wearing sunscreens
- Apply moisturizer to keep your face skin hydrated all the time
- Drink lots of water and keep your body hydrated
- Avoid exfoliating skin when you have lesions, open wounds, and sores
- Go for a healthy diet that provides the required vitamins and minerals for the skin
- Be choosy with your makeup products. Avoid heavy chemical beauty products.
- Remove the makeup before hitting the bed every day
Do not hesitate to approach physicians in case you notice new dark spots and any skin variations. This is to ensure no serious skin health conditions.