The Acid Reflux Wedge Pillow is found to be very effective for those having health conditions such as acid reflux, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), pyrosis, and heartburn.
The acid reflux wedge pillows are designed by gastroenterologists with the aim to provide relief from acid reflux. Mostly wedge pillows are made using polyurethane foam for better results on usage.
All you need to know is that normal pillows do not help to get relief from acid reflux disorders.
Just to give you a quick inside of what is Acid Reflux and GERD. These are two health conditions caused by the same issue and hence are closely related to each other.
Acid reflux is caused when reflux gushes back into the esophagus from your stomach causing heartburn and chest pain. GERD is actually a severe condition of acid reflux health condition.
GERD is experiencing frequent heartburn, chest pain, cough, sore taste in your mouth and difficulty in swallowing, and so on.
Heartburn or acid reflux happens when the stomach acids flow back to the esophagus due to the valve (esophageal sphincter) at the upper edge of the stomach not closing properly. This eventually causes chest pain and discomfort.
When you are in the bed and lying flat chances for reflux flowing from your stomach to the esophagus are very high. This is where the acid reflux wedge pillow comes to your help.
The wedge pillow helps to ease this discomfort by restricting the flow of reflux into the esophagus and also comes with many other benefits.
Table of Contents
How Does an Acid Reflux Wedge Pillow Work?
Very simple. The acid reflux wedge pillow lifts your head, chest, and shoulders. As a result, acid reflux flowing from the stomach to the esophagus is well controlled. This is a simple home remedy for Acid Reflux related disorders.
You can sleep well with comfort and ease. Using wedge pillows for acid reflux has no side effects whatsoever. This pillow works for acid reflux in babies as well.
How to choose an acid reflux wedge pillow?
First of all, you need to know your sleeping style or how you lay down on the bed to sleep. The main but normal sleeping styles are:-
- in the back
- on sides and
- on the stomach
Always choose a softer wedge pillow if your style of sleeping is on the back or on the stomach. Choose a thicker and more firm wedge pillow if your style of sleeping is on the sides.
Wedge Pillow Materials
Pay good attention to the materials of the wedge pillow made of. The wedge pillows made from memory form are usually soft. The wedge pillows filled with firm form are thicker and hard. The right choice pillow is made of hypoallergenic materials.
Look for a hypoallergenic skincare label on the pillows. This means it does not cause allergic responses. The materials used potentially do not have any irritating substances in them.
What is the right step for the acid wedge pillow?
The wedge pillow should not be too steep. The very steep ones do not help you in restricting the acid reflux flow to the esophageal from the stomach. Therefore be careful in your selection of the right acid reflux wedge pillow with the right steep.
The recommended inclination steep for your wedge pillow is about 30 to 45 degrees.
What is the right height for the acid wedge pillow?
Generally, there are three heights for acid reflux wedge pillows.
- Low wedge pillows – These heights work effectively to get relieve acid reflux disorders and sleep apnea. Low wedge pillows are usually about 6 to 8 inches high.
- Mid-height wedge pillows – This height is not considered good for many medical conditions including acid reflux and GERD. May be ideal for you to get relief from muscle pain and aches. The height of these pillows is usually 10 to 12 inches.
- Tall wedge pillows – These wedge pillows are certainly not good for acid reflux disorders. Ideal to support your back or legs while reading or watching tv. The height of these pillows is 13 to 15 inches.
Warranty – Additionally it will be good to buy a wedge pillow with a warranty. In case you are not comfortable with your purchase you could return it and replace it.
Benefits of Using a Wedge Pillow
- Relieving acid reflux, GERD, and digestive disorders
- Relieves from sleep apnea or snoring. it allows for better breathing by perfectly positioning the wedge pillows according to your sleeping style.
- Provides good support at back for pregnant mothers while in a sitting position on the bed.
- It helps in good blood circulation at various parts of the body hence giving a good feeling of freshness in the morning as wake up.
- Effective to give relief from health conditions such as sinuses and colds.
- Right-sized wedge pillows reduce the chances of having neck, back, or shoulder pains.
So I believe you got a good understanding of the acid reflux wedge pillows. You know what to look for when buying wedge pillows. The wedge pillows made of hypoallergenic foam are safe to use.
Double-check that pillows do not contain formaldehyde or phthalates which can produce effects if you have a sensitivity or skin allergies.
Quick Specifications of Acid reflux wedge pillow:-
Hight – 6 to 8 inches
Steep – 30 to 45 degrees
Made of hypoallergenic materials
Does not contain formaldehyde or phthalates
Covers are removable and washable
Premium-grade polyurethane foam base or similar
You could buy an acid reflux wedge pillow online easily for a better price. It will cost you from USD 20 to 100. Carefully read the descriptions of the pillow to ensure it meets the basic requirements we discussed here.
Also, note the rating of the product and reviews from the buyers. Some of the best acid reflux wedge pillows are MedSlant, Medline, Brentwood Home, Relax Home Life, FitPlus, Boppy Pregnancy and AERIS