Last Updated on
What causes migraines headaches is a question for many. Also, what are the best natural remedies available to treat migraine headaches?
The world health organization says that across the world the migraine headache is one of the most difficult health conditions. A migraine headache usually happens on one side of the head and it is kind of throbbing pain. Normally it continues to affect people for about 72 hours.
Migraine headache symptoms can differ from person to person. At the start of a headache, people experience sensory warning signs like flashes of light, sensitivities towards light and sound, blind spots, vomiting sensation, nausea and tingling in legs and arms.
Also sometimes signs of stick neck, food cravings, frequent yawning, constipation, and irritation are also experienced before the migraine attack.
The cause of a migraine headache is unfortunately still unknown. However, it has been found that most people are affected due to hereditary.
A migraine headache is thought to be because of: -
- the complex condition where chemical changes happen in the brain.
- the central nervous disorder
- genetic predisposition
- abnormalities in brain chemicals and in nerves
The main triggers and aggravation for migraine are attributed to hormonal fluctuations, stress, alcohol, bright lights, smoking, strong smells, loud noises, skipping meals, irregular sleep, dehydration, poor posture, low blood sugar, and allergies.
Till today there is no known cure for migration according to the studies. However, there are natural remedies for migraines a headache to get faster relief and to reduce its frequency.
Here are the best of 10 natural home remedies for a migraine headache.
Feverfew is known to be used for centuries and popular in treating migraine headaches as a natural remedy. This herb comprises parthenolide compound which helps on the contractions of the muscles. It does neutralize prostaglandins which induce pains.
- Make a feverfew herbal tea along with dried peppermint placing them in a hot cup of water for about thirty minutes and strain before drinking. Drink this herbal tea a few times a day to get relief from a migraine headache.
- Alternatively, eat a few feverfew leaves. Dry feverfew leaves capsules also can be bought. Seeks doctor’s guidance if you choose to have the capsules supplements.
Ginger is great for treating migraines headaches hence is a good natural home remedy. After eating ginger, it reacts to block the chemical prostaglandins and then relaxes the muscles. It regulates blood vessels in the brain. Ginger also a medicinal for many other health conditions so it is good for health.
It can be taken as a ginger tea. Drink ginger tea a few times a day to get migraine headache relief.
Also, you could chew a raw ginger root after peeling the skin.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in nutrition which helps to get relief from a migraine headache. There are many health benefits actually apple cider vinegar offers like weight loss, blood pressure, the sugar level in blood and so on.
To a glass of water and add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Then add one tablespoon of honey to it and drink it. This is a good treatment for a migraine headache and also if taken daily it will prevent getting a migraine attack.
If you find it difficult to drink apple cider vinegar, then start to drink in small quantities. Later you can increase the quantity of the intake. It is good to take these three tablespoons of the mixture when you get signs of a migraine attack.
Peppermint comprises anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties which can soothe the nerves and give you a calming effect respectively. Certain studies also indicate that the smell of the herb helps to provide relief from headaches.
- Use a few drops of peppermint essential oil and massage your temples. Or use a few drops of peppermint essential oil and lavender oil together. Massage for about 30 minutes. Keep repeating a few times a day till a migraine headache settles.
- Drinking peppermint tea with little honey also gives you relief from a migraine headache.
This happens to be famous among treatment for a migraine headache. This will get rid of the tension in the area where you get the pain by giving a numbing effect.
- Get a few ice cubes wrapped in a clean towel. Keep it over the forehead, temples, and back of the neck. Do this for about fifteen minutes. You could repeat it as needed.
- Hot and cold compresses also can be used instead of the wrapped ice cubes in a towel. Adding essential oils such as lavender or peppermint to the compressors will give you faster relief.
Chamomile has the properties of anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic along with soothing effects to give relief from a migraine headache. Drinking chamomile tea every day is useful to keep migraines away.
The German Chamomile also is known as Matricaria recutita found to be providing good results with migraines. To treat a migraine always buy German chamomile herb.
- Soak three teaspoons full of chamomile flowers (dried) in a boiling cup of water for three minutes. Add little fresh lemon juice and honey to it. Strain the tea before drinking. You can drink this tea four times a day and it will help you get relief from a migraine headache.
- Another way of using the chamomile tea is, same as above but with meadowsweet and horehound make a tea. Strain it before drinking the tea.
Cayenne pepper stimulates the blood circulation when drank hence it is one of the best home remedies for a migraine headache. Additionally, the capsaicin compound in it is a natural painkiller and gives faster relief
Make a drink with one teaspoon of Cayenne pepper, little of fresh lemon juice and honey and a cup of warm water. Keep drink a few times a day or as needed.
Massaging is good to control the pain signals that are going to your brain. Also, this will help to increase the serotonin activities by which gives you relief from a headache.
- Get help from a person who could massage your head from behind as you lie down on the bed. Massage the head in a circular motion using the forefingers. Consider pressing a little harder in the pressure points such as sides of the forehead, middle of the forehead and base of the skull.
- You also can do the massage with sesame oil for faster relief from the pain.
Make a quick mixture of 2 teaspoons of sesame oil (heat it slightly), a ½ teaspoon of cinnamon and cardamom powder. Apply the mixture on the forehead and gently massage the forehead. After about a few hours you could wash it off
Eat apples for many health benefits. Apple also helps to get relief from a migraine headache. Even some studies say you could get relief from migraine pain by smelling the apple itself. Simply eat the raw apples as many as you like to get relief.
Coffee contains caffeine which helps to block a few types of receptors in the blood that cause a migraine.
Drink a few cups of coffee a day to get relief. Be cautioned that in some people caffeine itself can trigger a migraine. Excessive caffeine can leads to making headaches worsened as well.
These are the best and effective methods available today to get rid of a migraine headache with no side effects. If your migraine prolongs for long seek a physician who could try to find what causes a migraine headache and the trigger points that are specific to you.