Urinary Tract Infection Symptoms (UTI) are many. We list out the top 9 symptoms that you should know for necessary remedial action to have the same cured in time.
If any component of the Urinary System is affected then it is called Urinary Tract Infection. A urinary system known as the Renal System is made of kidneys, Ureters, Urinary Bladder, and Urethra. UTI occurs in the urinary bladder or urethra. Serious infection involves the kidneys.
Urinary Tract Infection is very common in women compared with men. As per a study, about 3 million cases per year are found in the US alone.
Table of Contents
The main causes of Urinary Tract Infection
- Wiping in the wrong direction after a bowel movement (number 2). Always women should wipe from the front (vagina) to the back (anus). Never wipe from back to front. If you do so you are dragging the bacteria to your urethra. In this case, Escherichia Coli bacteria can easily get into the bladder. Because the urethra and the anus are so closer to each other.
- Intercourse – Especially women should wash the urethra area after having sex. This is to ensure that all the foreign matters and fluids are cleared out from the urethra.
- Type of Underwear – Nylons and spandex make you sweat in the area. The moisture from the sweat gets trapped in the genital region. The trapped moisture gives room for bacteria growth and finally results in UTI. Underwear made of cotton and natural fabrics that allow breathing helps to restrict this condition.
- Drinking less or no water – By regular urination, you can keep your urethra and your urinary system clean and free of infection. When you drink more water you will urinate more at regular intervals. Drinking less water gives little chance to keep the urethra clean. Chances for Urinary Tract infections are high.
- Urine left in the bladder – can cause bacteria growth leading to UTIs. Injuries to nerves near the urinary system do not allow emptying the urine fully from the bladder. This leads to leaving behind little urine to stay back in the bladder. Therefore more chances of infection. Anything that obstructs the normal release of urine can cause UTI.
- Menopausal transition – Women in this condition are vulnerable to UTI due to changes that affect the urethra walls.
- Weak Immune system – A natural acid present in the vagina prevents the multiplication of harmful bacteria in that area. A weak immune system could affect the presence of sufficient natural acid in the vagina. People in this condition are vulnerable to having UTIs.
- Shorter urethra – Women’s urethra is much shorter compared to men’s. Therefore harmful bacteria can get into the urinary system of women easily. This is one of the main reasons why women are more prone to have UTIs than men. Women should maintain hygiene in the genital area to prevent UTIs.
What does UTI pain feel like?
You get a stinging pain while urinating. It is so uncomfortable with a sharp burning sensation.
The inflammation in the bladder muscles due to urging for frequent urination causes pain in the pelvic area.
You may feel sensitive in the abdominal region. If UTI is not treated for a long time you may have lower back pain.
Continue to read more about the UTI symptoms below.
9 Urinary Tract Infection Symptoms to trace Urinary Tract Infection
1. Burning feeling at Urination
A very common symptom of UTI is the burning feeling when you urinate. It is because the edge of the passage that passes urine outside of the body becomes soft and tender due to the infection. As a result, you get a kind of burning feeling when you urinate.
If you feel a burning sensation while urinating, seek a doctor’s guidance at the earliest.
2. Urge for Frequent Urination
UTI-infected people have an urge for frequent urination. Meaning, an unusual feeling of need for urination more often than usual.
Most of the time only a little urine comes out while urinating. Imagine how embarrassing it can be for you to go to the washroom frequently when socializing with people.
3. Pain or pressure in the back or lower abdomen
Another symptom of the UTI is the pressure and pain felt in the back of the lower abdomen. This pain at times can be misjudged as a muscular ache. Antibiotic treatment will help to get relief from the pain with the doctor’s guidance.
Painkillers will be of no help to get relief from this UTI symptom. Take good rest and restrict your movements to ease the pain. See the details on the home remedies for UTIs at the end of this article.
4. Dark, Cloudy, Bloody, or Strange-Smelling Urine
Urinary Tract Infection also may make urine color change with a small quantity of urine passing out while urinating. It may look dark and cloudy in color.
There could be blood in the urine and hence may look dark and reddish. You also may sense an unusual strange smell of urine. This is a sign of severe infection which should be treated immediately to avoid inviting further complications.
5. Pain around the Genital Region
Some UTI patients complain of having pain in the genital area. The pain is felt even when you are not urinating. The pain though not severe but can put you into a state of distress and uneasiness. This pain will keep getting your attention all the time.
You could try home remedies for this UTI symptom mentioned below. If this treatment is not responding you should consult a doctor to go with antibiotics.
6. Fever or chills (A sign of infection may have reached your kidneys)
Fever or chills could be a sign of infection reaching the kidneys. Chill or fever symptoms of UTI are caused when the upper urinary system is affected.
The body temperature may exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit causing fever and shivering. Seek a doctor who advises having the diagnosis done correctly for the right treatment.
7. Nausea UTI symptom
This is another Urinary Infection Symptom to indicate where the infection has reached the kidneys. If the infection is severe patients may have a sensation of frequent nausea. This has no link to the food intake and then the feeling to vomit.
Taking anti-vomiting medication may help to reduce the nauseous sensation. However, treatment should include the UTI mainly for a complete cure.
Severe infection can lead to Vomiting from feeling nausea due to the UTI infection. You may vomit often even without food intake.
This means this vomiting has nothing to do with food but because of the UTI infection. You need to opt for the right diagnosis and medication to stop vomiting.
9. UTI Symptoms from Genital Discharge
People with UTIs will have a symptom of unusual genital discharge. If you observe you will notice that genital discharge is different than the normal texture and also in its appearance and odor.
Genital discharge of this nature can happen to both men and women which normally tends to go unnoticed. Be aware of unusual genital discharges. Do your diagnosis with your doctor for early treatment.
You can treat UTIs with natural antibiotics. These are effective and just as good as over-the-counter medications.
2 thoughts on “9 Urinary Tract Infection Symptoms with UTI home remedies”
I am looking for URAL sachets for UTI. This website was advised.
For UTI, URAL sachets can be obtained in any medical pharmacy without a doctor’s prescription. Anyway, thank you for reaching us in this regard.
Comments are closed.