We would not have known what is tooth abscess or an abscessed tooth. But I am sure we all would have suffered from this bacterial tooth-related infection. In this article, we detail the effective natural antibiotics to treat such tooth infections.
This is a very common tooth or gum condition. Several people are affected worldwide which makes it difficult to carry out day-to-day work.
An abscessed tooth is a very common tooth or gum condition. Several people are affected worldwide which makes it difficult to carry out day-to-day work.
This is an infection where germs and bacteria get collected around the gums near the tooth. This can causes sometimes unbearable toothache and swollen gums.
Before we get into details of natural antibiotics tooth infection let us understand the causes and the symptoms.
The Causes and Symptoms of an Abscessed Tooth
- Poor Oral Hygiene
- Dental Infection
- Gum Infection or Gum Disease
- Low Immune System
- Chipped or Cracked Tooth
- Intake of High Carb Foods
- Intake of sticky or deep-fried foods
- Intake of High Sugar Foods
There are several symptoms of infection. Here are the most common ones that include:
- Swelling of the Cheek
- Tooth Sensitivity for Cold or Hot Food
- Swollen or Inflamed Gums
- Bad Breath
- Difficulty in opening the mouth
- Difficulty in chewing food
- Oral Discomfort
- Mild to High Fever
- Face Swelling
It is important to treat this tooth condition quickly. Because bacterial infection can spread to other areas of the mouth. There are various types of treatments suggested. Even toothpaste companies recommend using specific types of paste.
Here we will provide you the affordable, safe, and cost-effective home remedies to treat an abscessed tooth. These are found to be effective and with no side effects.
14 Natural Antibiotics for Tooth Infection Options
Here are remedies to how to get rid of a tooth infection without antibiotics.
Saltwater is great for any mouth or throat infections and tooth infections. Its antibacterial properties combat the infection effectively and relieve you from severe pain, and inflammation, and at the same time kill the germs and bacteria. This is one best for pain relief.
Saltwater is very effective when used at the initial stages of the infection for a complete and faster cure. Saltwater is a natural antibiotic that combats oral infections.
Mix a teaspoon of salt in a warm cup of water. Rinse your mouth thoroughly. Repeat 2 times a day and continue until the infection is gone.
2. Fenugreek Tea Mouth Wash
Fenugreek comprises antibacterial and many other medicinal properties. These properties fight tooth infections and also for many other oral infections.
Once used it kills the bacteria and helps to reduce the inflammation and pain.
Heat one cup of water in a saucepan for 5 minutes over medium heat on the stove.
- Add one teaspoon of Ground Fenugreek to the cup of water.
- Keep heating and stir ground fenugreek for another 3 minutes.
- After that remove the solution from the stove and let it cool down a little.
- Dip a cotton ball in the solution and apply it to the gums and tooth infected by an abscess.
- Repeat 4 times a day and continue for a few days till the infection is cleared.
3. Green Tea Bag
Green tea has full of anti-inflammation, antioxidants, and astringent properties. These properties make green tea an antibiotic. It fights bacteria and germs and reduces the pain and inflammation around the tooth.
- Heat a cup of water in a saucepan over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Then pour the water into a cup and soak one green in it. Cover it with a lid.
- Let it steep for another 5 minutes.
- Take out the green tea bag and squeeze it gently to remove the excess warm water.
- Place the green tea bag over the infected gums and tooth.
- Take care not to swallow or chew the green tea bag.
- Repeat three times a day and for a few days till the infection is gone.
Compounds present in green tea have proved to inhibit the growth and activity of bacteria associated with infections.Effect of Green Tea Extract on Mouth Bacterial Activity – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3941855/
An evaluation of green tea proves to be a great herbal mouthwash. Safe to be used by everyone including children and pregnant women. Green tea prevents the formation of dental plaques.
4. Ginger and Cayenne Pepper Paste
The combination of Ginger and Cayenne pepper works well to clear a tooth abscess. Ginger contains antibacterial and anti-inflammation properties. Meanwhile, Cayenne pepper contains a capsaicin substance that helps to cure inflammation faster. These two herbs together make a strong “natural antibiotics tooth infection” to give quick relief.
Crush a piece of fresh ginger and add ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper. Mixed it well to make a thick paste. You could add a little honey if you want to make it sweet. Make a tiny ball from the thick paste made of ginger and cayenne pepper.
Place the ball over the infected tooth. Leave it for about 5 minutes for the pain to subside. Do not swallow the paste. Do it once a day and for a couple of days.
5. Ice Cube
Ice cubes can be used to reduce pain and reduce swelling. It numbs the nerves and reduces pain and swelling.
Wrap a few ice cubes in a clean piece of cloth and place them over the swollen areas of the jaw to get quick relief from pain.
This is a simple home treatment for the affected tooth. You could practice when you do not get other options.
6. Oil Pulling with Essential Oils
Oil pulling is another best remedy for all kinds of tooth pain including for an abscessed tooth. It removes the toxins from the affected tooth. It reduces pain and inflammation. At the same time maintains good health for your gums and teeth.
Clove and Coconut Essential Oils Mix
Coconut oil is used for oil pulling which has antibacterial properties. It helps to combat bacteria and cure the infection. Clove oil is packed with anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammation properties. This herb gives a numb effect on the gums and helps to reduce pain.
- Make a mixture of one teaspoon of virgin coconut oil and a few drops of clove.
- Sip this mixture and then swish it inside your mouth back and forth. Ensure to cover the area where the tooth is infected. Keep oil pulling for about 15 minutes and then spit it off. Now rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Repeat oil pulling every day for a week. This is good to maintain the good health of gums and teeth.
Treating Tooth Infection with Oregano essential oil
Oregano essential oil is an essential oil that is freely available in health food stores. You also easily buy online.
The special qualities such as antibacterial and antioxidant of oregano essential oil are that provide relief. Helps to reduce swelling and tooth pain.
To use the remedy:
Always when come to essential oil do remember carrier oil. These oils are very strong and therefore need to dilute with a carrier oil.
- Mix a few drops of oregano essential oil with one ounce of carrier oil.
- Soak a cotton ball or swap in the mixture.
- Press gently over the infected area for about three minutes.
- Then remove the cotton swab or the ball from the mouth.
- Let the essential oil mix remain for about ten minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
You can repeat for about three times a day.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar Remedy
Apple cider vinegar contains anti-inflammatory and disinfectant properties. These properties help reduce inflammation, and pain and disinfect the affected areas of the tooth.
Use one tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar and swish it in your mouth for about 5 minutes. Then spit it off. Never to swallow it. After that rinse your mouth with warm water. Repeat the remedy a few times a day for a week.
8. Garlic Remedy
Garlic contains anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. These properties make garlic fight against tooth infection. Use the below for faster relief from pain and inflammation.
- Peel the skin off of about 5 garlic cloves and crush it to make a paste. Put this paste in the muslin cloth and squeeze out the garlic juice.
- Apply the extracted garlic juice to the infected area. Let it be for about two hours.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Repeat this home remedy three times a day.
- Continue for a couple of days to get complete relief from the abscessed tooth.
9. Clove Oil Remedy
This oil is extensively used by many for toothache relief. It contains antiseptic, antifungal, and antibacterial properties. This helps to kill bacteria around the tooth and control the inflammation.
Methods of application:
Add a few drops of oil to the toothbrush. Brush the affected abscessed tooth softly for about 5 minutes. Then rinse the mouth with warm water. Repeat a few times a day.
Add a few drops of oil to the cotton swab. Place it over the affected area for some time. Then rinse it off with warm water. Repeat 3 times a day to get better results.
10. Oregano Oil Remedy
Oregano oil is another antibacterial by nature for tooth infection. It is highly rich in antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antispasmodic properties. This helps to combat infectious bacteria and germs.
Additionally, Oregano Oil also protects the teeth and gums from further infections and inflammation.
Add a few drops of Oregano Oil onto the cotton swab. Place the cotton swab over the infected tooth for 5 minutes. Then after about 20 minutes rinse your mouth with warm water.
11. Turmeric for tooth infection (turmeric for gum abscess paste)
Turmeric is very effective too against infections because of its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic properties. It helps in killing bacteria and reduces inflammation. Make turmeric for gum abscess paste by adding a little water to one teaspoon of turmeric powder. Dip the cotton swab into it and then apply it to the tooth.
- Keep applying turmeric paste with a cotton swab on the tooth as much as possible. After 15 minutes rinse the mouth with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy three times a day. Continue this for a couple of days. Turmeric is ideal to cure and relieve toothache fast.
Alternatively, use turmeric mouthwash to remove any plaque and bacteria affecting your oral hygiene. It reduces inflammation. Use the turmeric mouthwash for a minute twice a day.
12. Hydrogen Peroxide for Tooth Infection
Hydrogen peroxide may not be a remedy using natural ingredients but it is the most recommended best home remedy for an abscessed tooth.
The reason for its high popularity is that hydrogen peroxide acts as a bacterium cleansing agent. It helps to kill the infection-causing bacteria that are present in the infected tooth and gums. It is faster in clearing the infection out as well as healing inflammation.
A study carried out in 2017 with 53 people proved to be effective. Those who were treated with hydrogen peroxide showed gum diseases with reduced symptoms.
Mix equal parts of warm water and hydrogen peroxide strength of 3% in a glass.
In a small dish pour equal parts of hydrogen peroxide (3% in strength) and warm water and mix it well. Dip a cotton swab into it and place it over the infected abscess.
Let it be for about 5 minutes. After that rinse your mouth with warm water. Repeat this twice a day and for a couple of days. This method gives you faster relief from toothache and clears the infection.
|Mix 35% Hydrogen Peroxide||with Amount of Water||Result: 3% Hydrogen Peroxide|
|1 part||11 parts||12 parts|
|1 and 1/4 cups||14 and 3/4 cups||1 gallon (16 cups)|
|1 and 1/4 tablespoon||3/4 cups + 2 and 3/4 tablespoon||1 cup (16 tablespoons)|
|1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon||3 and 1/2 cups + 3 tablespoon||1 quart (4 cups)|
13. Baking Soda
Baking soda works well with an abscessed tooth. It is capable of maintaining good oral hygiene. It can remove plaque that affects the mouth. Baking soda has significant activity against oral pathogens.
Just mix the half tablespoon of baking soda in half of a cup of water. Add a pinch of salt to it.
Swish thoroughly with the mixture in your mouth for five minutes. Now spit and keep repeating swishing till you finish the mixture you have made. Try two or three times a day for faster results.
Honey is a natural antibacterial agent that works well in curing wounds. It helps in many ways against wounds by speeding up the healing process and reducing pain, swelling, and inflammation.
In the case of tooth infection, honey helps to reduce pain and inflammation. Place the honey right on the inflammation area in the mouth for a good effect.
Over The Counter Antibiotics for Tooth Infection
Antibiotics may be prescribed by your dentist as a treatment for tooth abscess pain. This prevents the infection from spreading to other teeth or other parts of your body. Among the most commonly used are:
The amount and duration of these drugs depend on the type and severity of your condition. Always follow your doctor’s prescription when taking drugs.
How to Ward off Any Dental Infection?
- Brush your teeth every day at least twice. It is highly recommended to brush your teeth after every meal. Replace your toothbrush at least every three months.
- Use dental floss to remove any food that is stuck between the teeth.
- Restraint eating food that contains too much sugar the night before going to bed.
- Fluoridated drinking water helps. Fluoride strengthens your teeth’s enamel, making it more difficult for bacteria like plaque and tartar to enter. Most cities in the US have fluoride in their drinking water.
- Visit the dentist at least once in two months.
When to see a doctor?
Diagnose tooth problems early. If you ignore the abscessed tooth infection, it can spread to the other parts of the mouth. It can even spread to the face and eyes.
How long can a tooth infection go untreated? A tooth infection can be left untreated for about 12 months. That means you can sustain for a long period. However, it may be associated with severe complications which you have to face with it.
Seek the doctor’s attention for tooth infection at the earliest. If natural remedies are not effective for you, seek dental care from a qualified doctor.
Prevention is best by maintaining oral hygiene all the time.
What is the strongest natural antibiotic for tooth infection? All the above listed are the closest natural antibiotic for tooth infection.
These “Natural Antibiotics Tooth Infection” could be tried out first to ease the symptoms. Ensure you recognize the symptoms at the earliest. Remembering to treat at the early stages of infections is important. So, you could avoid drugs and go to the doctor.
Practice the prevention measures to ward off tooth conditions related to infections.
Noble Home Remedies relies on peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical associations for accuracy and reliability while avoiding tertiary references. Our editorial policy provides more information about how we ensure our content is accurate and up-to-date.
- Dental Abscess – A microbiological review – Published in PMC
- Baking soda dentifrices and oral health by Journal of American Dental Association
- Comparative evaluation of salt water rinse with chlorhexidine against oral microbes – published in PubMed