We would not have known what is tooth abscess or an abscessed tooth. But I am sure we all would have suffered from this tooth related infection. Here come your amazing natural antibiotics for tooth abscess infection.
An abscessed tooth is a very common tooth or gum condition. Several people are affected worldwide which makes it difficult to carry out day-to-day work.
In this article, we detail out the effective natural antibiotics for tooth infection remedies.
A quick recap of natural antibiotics for tooth infection remedies
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with salt-water
- Use fenugreek tea as your mouth wash
- Use soaked green tea bag over the affected tooth
- Apply ginger and cayenne pepper paste over the infected tooth
- Try wrapped ice cubes in a cloth over the swollen areas
- Do oil pulling with coconut oil
- Swish with apple cider vinegar in your mouth
- Apply garlic extract over the infected tooth
- Apply clove oil with a cotton bud on the affected tooth
- Put the paste made of turmeric on the affected tooth
- Apply Oregano oil on the infected tooth
- Place the hydrogen peroxide-soaked cotton bud on the infected tooth
Before we get into details of natural antibiotics for tooth infection let us understand the causes and the symptoms.
The main causes of an abscessed tooth
- Poor Oral Hygiene
- Dental Infection
- Gum Infection or Gum Disease
- Low Immune System
- Chipped or Cracked Tooth
- Intake of High Carb Foods
- Intake of sticky or deep-fried foods
- Intake of High Sugar Foods
There are several symptoms of the tooth abscess infection, I am listing the most common ones for your information.
Symptoms of Tooth Abscess
- Swelling of the Cheek
- Tooth Sensitivity for Cold or Hot Food
- Swollen or Inflamed Gums
- Bad Breath
- Difficulty in opening the mouth
- Difficulty in chewing food
- Oral Discomfort
- Mild to High Fever
- Face Swelling
It is important to treat the abscessed tooth quickly. Because infection can spread to other areas of the gums. There are various types of treatments suggested. Even toothpaste companies recommend using specific types of paste.
Here we will provide you the affordable, safe and cost-effective home remedies to treat an abscessed tooth. These are found to be effective and with no side effects.
How to treat tooth abscess at home?
Here are the top natural antibiotics for tooth infection remedies: -
1. Salt Water
Salt Water is great for any mouth or throat infections including for tooth abscess. Its antibacterial properties combat the infection effectively and relieve you from pain, inflammation and the same time kills the germs and bacteria.
Salt-water is very effective when used at the initial stages of the infection for a complete and faster cure from a tooth abscess. Salt-water is really a natural antibiotic tooth abscess.
Mix a teaspoon of salt in a warm cup of water. Rinse your mouth thoroughly. Repeat 2 times a day and continue until the infection is gone.
Here is the evidence that salt mouth rinse can considerably reduce the dental plaque and microbial count in your mouth.
2. Fenugreek Tea Mouth Wash
Fenugreek comprises antibacterial and many other medicinal properties. It is a natural antibiotic for a tooth infection and also for many oral health concerns.
Once used it kills the bacteria and helps to reduce the inflammation and pain caused by a tooth abscess. It is the best antibiotic for a tooth infection.
Heat one cup of water in a saucepan for 5 minutes over medium heat on the stove.
- Add one teaspoon of Ground Fenugreek to the cup of water.
- Keep heating and stir ground fenugreek for another 3 minutes.
- After that remove the solution from the stove and let it cool down a little.
- Dip a cotton ball in the solution and apply it to the gums and tooth infected by an abscess.
- Repeat 4 times a day and continue for a few days till the infection is cleared.
3. Green Tea Bag
Green tea has full of anti-inflammation, antioxidants and astringent properties. These properties make this a natural antibiotic for tooth abscess. It fights bacteria and germs and reduces the pain and inflammation around the abscessed tooth.
- Heat a cup of water in a saucepan over medium heat for about 10 minutes
- Then pour the water into a cup and soak one green in it. Cover it with a lid. Let it is steep for another 5 minutes
- Take out the green tea bag and squeeze it gently to remove the excess warm water.
- Place the green tea bag over the infected gums and tooth.
- Take care not to swallow or chew the green tea bag.
- Repeat three times a day and for a few days till the infection is gone.
A study suggests that green tea is a herbal mouthwash. Safe to be used by everyone including children and pregnant women. Green tea prevents the formation of dental plaques.
Ginger and Cayenne Pepper Paste
The combination of Ginger and Cayenne pepper makes a solid natural antibiotics tooth abscess. Ginger contains antibacterial and anti-inflammation properties.
Meanwhile, Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin substance that helps to cure inflammation faster. These two herbs for tooth infection give quick relief.
Crush a piece of fresh ginger and add ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper. Mixed it well to make a thick paste. You could add a little honey if you want to make it sweet. Make a tiny ball from the thick paste made of ginger and cayenne pepper.
Place the ball over the infected tooth abscess. Leave it for about 5 minutes for the pain to subside. Do not swallow the paste. Do it once a day and for a couple of days.
4. Ice Cube
Ice cubes can be used to reduce the pain and reduce the swelling. It numbs the nerves and which reduces the pain and the swelling.
Wrap a few ice cubes in a clean piece of cloth and place it over the swollen areas of the jaw to get quick relief from an abscessed tooth.
This is a simple tooth abscess home treatment tooth and you could practice when you do not get other options.
5. Oil Pulling with Essential Oils for Tooth Abscess
Oil pulling is another home remedy for all kinds of toothache including for abscessed tooth. It removes the toxins from the infected tooth. It reduces pain and inflammation. At the same time maintains good health for your gums and teeth.
A study published in PubMed Central talks about the health benefits of oil pulling. Mainly oral health and also the same leading to overall health. Oil pulling is an ancient home remedy practice in India.
Clove and Coconut Essential Oils Mix
Coconut oil is used for oil pulling which has antibacterial properties. It helps to combat bacteria and cure the infection. Clove oil is packed with anti-bacterial, anti-inflammation properties. Clove gives the numb effect on the gums and helps to reduce pain.
- Make a mixture of one teaspoon virgin coconut oil and a few drops of clove.
- Sip this mixture and then swish inside your mouth back and forth. Mostly cover the area of the infected tooth. Keep oil pulling for about 15 minutes and then spit it off. Now rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Repeat oil pulling every day for a week. This is good to maintain the good health of gums and teeth.
2. Treating Tooth Abscess with Oregano essential oil
Oregano Essential Oil
Oregano oil is an essential oil is freely available in health food stores. You also easily buy online.
The special qualities such as antibacterial and antioxidant of oregano essential oil are what help tooth abscess relief. Helps to reduce swelling and tooth pain.
To use the remedy:
Always when come to essential oil do remember carrier oil. Essential oils are very strong and therefore need to dilute with a carrier oil.
- Mix a few drops of oregano essential oil with one ounce of carrier oil.
- Soak a cotton ball or swap in the mixture.
- Press gently over the infected area for about three minutes.
- Then remove the cotton swab or the ball from the mouth.
- Let the essential oil mix remain for about ten minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
You can repeat for about three times a day.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar Remedy
Apple cider vinegar contains anti-inflammatory and disinfectant properties. These properties help reducing inflammation, pain and disinfecting the affected areas with a tooth abscess. This is a natural antibiotic for a tooth infection.
Use one tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar and swish in your mouth for about 5 minutes. Then spit it off. Never to swallow it. After that rinse your mouth with warm water. Repeat the remedy a few times a day for a week.
7. Garlic remedy for tooth abscess
Garlic contains anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties. These properties make garlic, great natural antibiotics for tooth infection. Use the below for faster relief from tooth pain and inflammation.
- Peel the skin off of about 5 garlic cloves and crush it to make a paste. Put this paste in the muslin cloth and squeeze out the garlic juice.
- Apply the extracted garlic juice into the infected area. Let it be for about two hours.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water. Repeat this home remedy three times a day.
- Continue for a couple of days to get complete relief from the abscessed tooth.
8. Clove Oil Remedy
Clove oil is extensively used by many for the toothache relief. It contains antiseptic, antifungal and antibacterial properties. This helps to kill bacteria that cause tooth abscess and control the inflammation.
Methods of application of clove oil
Add a few drops of clove oil to the toothbrush. Brush the affected abscessed tooth softly for about 5 minutes. Then rinse the mouth with warm water. Repeat a few times a day.
Add a few drops of clove oil to the cotton swab. Place it over the affected abscessed tooth for some time. Then rinse it off with warm water. Repeat 3 times a day to get better results.
9. Oregano Oil Remedy
Oregano Oil is another natural antibiotic tooth abscess. It is highly rich in antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antispasmodic properties. This combats infectious bacteria and germs that cause a tooth abscess. Oregano essential oil also in use for cough and certain other illnesses because of these properties.
Additionally, Oregano Oil also protects the teeth and gums from further infections and inflammation.
Add a few drops of Oregano Oil onto the cotton swab. Place the cotton swab over the infected tooth for 5 minutes. Then after about 20 minutes rinse your mouth with warm water.
10. Turmeric for tooth infection (turmeric for gum abscess paste)
Turmeric is very effective in curing tooth abscess because of its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. It helps in killing bacteria and reduces inflammation.
According to a study published in the US National Library of Medicine curcumin of turmeric prevents gingivitis and gum diseases.
Refer here for more details on Natural Treatment for Gingivitis
Make turmeric for gum abscess paste by adding a little water to one teaspoon turmeric powder. Dip the cotton swab into it and then apply it to the infected tooth.
Keep applying turmeric paste with a cotton swab on the infected tooth as much as possible. After 15 minutes rinse the mouth with warm water.
Repeat this remedy three times a day. Continue this for a couple of days. Turmeric for tooth infection is ideal to relieve pain and faster cure.
Alternatively, use turmeric mouthwash to remove any plaque and bacteria affecting your oral health. It reduces inflammation. Use the turmeric mouthwash for a minute twice a day.
Read here to know more about the turmeric health benefits which are enormous.
11. Hydrogen Peroxide mouthwash for tooth abscess
Hydrogen peroxide may not be a remedy using natural ingredients but it is the most recommended best home remedies for an abscessed tooth.
The reason for the high popularity is because hydrogen peroxide acts as a bacterium cleansing agent. It helps to kill the infection-causing bacteria that are present in the infected tooth and gums. It is faster in clearing the infection out as well as healing inflammation.
A study carried out in 2017 with 53 people proven to be effective. Those who were treated with hydrogen peroxide showed for gum diseases reduced symptoms.
Mix equal parts of warm water and hydrogen peroxide strength of 3% in a glass.
In a small dish pour equal parts of hydrogen peroxide (3% in strength) and warm water and mixed it well. Dip a cotton swab into it and place it over the infected abscess.
Let it be for about 5 minutes. After that rinse your mouth with warm water. Repeat this twice a day and for a couple of days. This method gives you faster relief from pain and clears the infection.
12. Baking Soda for Tooth Infection
Baking soda works well abscess tooth. It is capable of maintaining good oral health. It can remove plaque that affects the mouth.
According to the American Dental Association Journal (JADA) baking soda has significant activity against oral pathogens.
Just mix the half tablespoon of baking soda in a half of a cup of water. Add a pinch of salt to it.
Swish thoroughly with the mixture in your mouth for five minutes. Now spit and keep repeating swishing till you finish the mixture you have made.
Try two or three times a day to have to clear the tooth infection.
13. Honey for Tooth Infection
Honey is a natural antibacterial agent that works well in curing wounds. It helps many ways against wounds by speeding up the healing process, reducing pain, swellings and inflammations.
In the case of tooth infection, honey helps to reduce pain and inflammation caused by the tooth infection. Place the honey right on the inflammation area in the mouth for a good effect.
Tooth Abscess prevention measures
- Brush your teeth every day at least twice. It is highly recommended to brush your teeth after every meal.
- Use dental floss to remove any food that stuck between the teeth
- Restraint eating food that contains too much sugar in the night before going to bed.
- Visit the dentist at least once in two months.
These are the home remedies as a natural antibiotic for a tooth infection. Try out the natural stuff and have no side effects.
Your best way to get rid of tooth infection without antibiotics. Help yourself to stop tooth pain fast.
When to see a doctor?
The natural antibiotic tooth infection treatment effectively works when diagnosed early. Never ignore this condition. If you ignore the abscessed tooth infection can spread to the other parts of the mouth. Even it can spread to face and eyes.
Seek doctor's attention for abscess tooth infection at the earliest if natural remedies are not effective on you. You may require antibiotics and specific dental care from a qualified doctor.
Your comments are important to us on the recommended home remedies for tooth infection. We take your comments seriously.