There are many reasons why canker sores occur. Here are some home remedies that are effective for treating canker sores.
Canker Sores can be painful if not treated on time. Your day-to-day activities will be affected since eating, talking, and swallowing are difficult. Here are some of the best effective canker sores home remedies for faster relief.
What is a canker sore?
Canker sores are medically known as aphthous ulcers. It is a tiny, shallow ulcer. An infection that affects the inside of the mouth, at the base of the gums, the lips, the throat, or the uvula. Another area that can be affected by canker sores is under the tongue.
The white stuff in a canker sore is a mixture of fluids, white blood cells, and bacteria. As a result, canker sores are usually white in color. Sometimes, it is yellow or grey in color. A red border surrounds the edges. It is also, surrounded by inflamed tissue.
Women are more likely than men to suffer from canker sores, which creates stress in their lives. You may experience more pain and bad breath from canker sores in your tongue, gums, or throat.
What Causes Canker Sores?
There are many reasons to cause canker sores in your mouth. The following are some of the most common ones:
- Dental products that contain sodium lauryl sulfates, such as toothpaste and mouthwash
- Over-brushing of teeth and gums, dental cleaning, accidents to the cheek or biting the cheek inside the mouth.
- Stress caused by emotional factors
- Food allergies or sensitivities such as coffee, eggs, cheese, chocolate, berries, acidic and spicy foods.
- An allergy is caused by a certain type of bacteria in the mouth.
- Bacteria Helicobacter pylori
- Vitamin B-12, iron (folic acid), zinc deficiencies.
- Menstruation hormonal changes
- Due to other ailments
- Intestinal disorder (celiac disease) being sensitive to gluten. Gluten is a protein mostly found in grains.
- Ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease are related to bowel inflammation.
- Inflammation through the body is known as Behcet’s disease. It is a rare health condition.
- Immune system wrongly targeting healthy cells in the body instead of bacteria and viruses (pathogens).
- HIV or AIDS affecting immunity.
How to control or limit canker sores?
You can easily control the spread of canker sores with simple methods. The immediate thing to do when you have canker sores is to adjust your lifestyle to minimize the severity of the outbreak. Here are the few things you could do in case of Canker Sores outbreak:
- Do not touch or poke the canker sore with your tongue or fingers.
- Don’t eat spicy food.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Eat healthy, nutritious food.
- Take time to meditate or do breathing exercises to relieve emotional stress.
- Make sure you take enough multivitamins
- Brush your teeth gently without damaging the internal tissues of your mouth.
- Don’t bite the internal tissues of your mouth while eating.
The best 10 Canker Sores Home Remedies
Listed below are some of the best home remedies for canker sores that have been used since ancient times to get relief quickly.
1. Coconut oil
Coconut oil helps treat canker sores due to its antimicrobial properties. It relieves you of canker sores that are caused by bacteria. Moreover, coconut oil is an anti-inflammatory that helps soothe canker sores.
Apply the coconut oil over affected areas as many times as you want. The canker sores disappear fast when applied repeatedly throughout the day.
Sesame oil pulling could also be used for canker sores. According to studies conducted and published in the US National Library of Medicine, ozonated oil is effective.
2. Canker Sores Saltwater
Salt is a natural disinfectant that can kill bacteria. In order to kill bacteria present in canker sores, rinse the mouth with saltwater. You’ll get faster relief from it.
Mix one teaspoon of table salt in a cup of lukewarm water. Swish with the saltwater in your mouth for about half a minute. Then spit it out and rinse your mouth with lukewarm water.
It’s that simple. So do it.
3. Basil Leaves for Canker Sores
Basil is antimicrobial by nature and helps prevent infections. You can maintain your dental health by chewing the leaves in your mouth. Canker sores can also be cleared by chewing on basil leaves. It is natural dentistry to use basil leaves.
For canker sores, soak some basil leaves for a few minutes in a cup of hot water. Swish the hot water inside your mouth as soon as it cools down.
4. Fenugreek leaves and the effects in Canker Sores
As a natural remedy, fenugreek is used for a broad range of ailments, and it has close connections to natural dentistry. This herb contains many vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, carotene, and riboflavin.
Fenugreek leaves can be added to your food for various health benefits, including improving your immune system.
You can get relief from canker sores by swishing fenugreek in your mouth.
Mix one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of lukewarm water. Use the solution to swish within your mouth to get rid of canker sores.
5. Cayenne pepper and Canker Sores
Cayenne pepper is the only hot food that doesn’t irritate canker sores. The chemical capsaicin in cayenne pepper prevents bacteria from growing. Therefore, cayenne pepper is a useful natural remedy for canker sores.
Combine the powdered cayenne pepper with lukewarm water and prepare a paste. Apply the paste with your finger or a cotton swab directly on the canker sores. You should repeat this three times per day to get relief from canker sores faster.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
As a home remedy, apple cider vinegar is used to treat many common ailments. Canker sores can be treated with it, but the dosage needs to be carefully monitored.
As apple cider vinegar is acidic, it kills bacteria, thereby assisting in the treatment of canker sores. Nevertheless, apple cider vinegar may irritate some people because of its acidity.
- Mix one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water
- Rinse your mouth by swishing with the solution for about a minute.
- Finally, rinse your mouth with fresh lukewarm water thoroughly.
- Repeat every day till the canker sores disappear.
7. Canker Sores Baking Soda
Acids in your mouth can cause irritation in canker sores. Baking soda’s alkaline base can neutralize the acids in your mouth and ease canker sore irritation.
Furthermore, baking soda also kills and controls the growth of bacteria. Therefore, you can expect canker sores to heal quickly.
- In a cup of lukewarm water mix two teaspoons of baking soda.
- Rinse your mouth by swishing with this solution.
- Finally, rinse and swish your mouth with fresh lukewarm water.
8. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is used as a natural remedy for healing wounds and reducing pain. Herbs such as this one are antiseptic and anti-inflammatory in nature. They are responsible for healing and soothing canker sores.
You can use one chamomile tea sachet at a time on canker sores by dipping it into the water first and placing it on canker sores.
It can also help to swish your mouth with freshly brewed chamomile tea to rinse. You should repeat this three times daily.
9. Sage Tea
For centuries, sage tea has been used as a mouthwash for oral problems. Sage tea has inherited properties that are anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antibacterial, and astringent. These properties work to cure canker sores in the mouth.
You can buy sage mouthwash at pharmacies. You also can make your own sage tea mouthwash:
- Take two teaspoons of fresh sage leaves in a cup.
- Add boiling water to it.
- Let it steep for about 5 minutes.
- Strain the solution and let it cool down.
- Rinse your mouth by swishing the solution in your mouth.
- Finally, spit and rinse your mouth with fresh water.
10. Zinc Supplements for Canker Sores
Canker sores are sometimes caused by zinc deficiency. Consider taking zinc supplements on a regular basis. When zinc supplements were taken, canker sores decreased by about 50 to 100 percent. A doctor can advise you on the appropriate dosage of zinc.
As an alternative, zinc lozenges can be taken to treat canker sores.
A Quick Canker Sores Home Remedy
Here is another option for those of you too lazy to attempt any of the above home remedies for canker sores. It is most effective to apply butter many times a day to the sores. It works. Because it worked for me.