There are various reasons that cause canker sores. We have picked up here the canker sores home remedies since there are many effective remedies.
Canker Sores can be painful if not treated on time. It affects your day to day life by making it difficult to eat, talking and at swallowing. Let us see some of the best effective canker sores remedies for faster relief.
What is a canker sore?
In medical terms, canker sores are called aphthous ulcer. It is a tiny and shallow ulcer affecting the inside of the mouth, at the base of the gums, right inside the lips, throat or uvula. Canker sores under tongue also an area of possibility to be affected. This ulcer is white or yellow in color and surrounded by inflamed tissue.
Canker sores condition more common among women compared to men and cause stress on people.
Canker sores in tongue, gums, and throat can be more painful and may cause bad breath.
What Causes Canker Sores?
Primary causes of sores cause
- Toothpaste and mouthwash containing a substance called sodium lauryl sulfate
- Injuries through over brushing teeth and gums, dental cleaning, accidents to cheeks or biting cheek inside the mouth.
- Emotional stress
- Allergy or sensitives to certain foods such as coffee, eggs, cheese, chocolates, berries, acidic and spicy food.
- Allergies caused by certain bacteria in the mouth.
- Bacteria Helicobacter pylori that cause peptic ulcers.
- Vitamin B-12, iron (folic acid), zinc deficiencies.
- Menstruation hormonal changes
- Canker sores due to other ailments
- Intestinal disorder (celiac disease) being sensitive to gluten.
- Gluten is a protein mostly found in grains.
- Ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease related to bowel inflammation.
- Inflammation through the body known as Behcet’s disease but a rare health condition.
- Immune system wrongly targeting healthy cells in the body instead of bacteria and viruses (pathogens).
- HIV or AIDS also causes canker sores as it affects immunity.
How to control or limit canker sores?
- On the outbreak of canker sores, the immediate thing is to adjust your lifestyle a little to control worsening of canker sores.
- Avoid touching and poking the canker sore with your tongue or fingers.
- Avoid spicy food.
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking lots of water.
- Eat healthy and nutritious food.
- Do meditation or breathing exercise to remove emotional stress.
- Take sufficient multivitamins
- Carefully brush your teeth without causing injuries to internal tissues of the mouth.
- Take care while eating no biting internal tissues of the mouth.
The best 10 Canker Sores Home Remedies
Here are the canker sores home remedies that have been used for ages to get relief at a faster pace.
1. Coconut oil
The antimicrobial properties of coconut oil are good for canker sores. It helps to relieve you from canker sores caused by bacteria. Additionally, coconut oil also has anti-inflammation properties that soothe the canker sores.
Apply the coconut oil over affected areas as many as times you feel like. Applying over and over again during the day makes canker sores disappear fast.
Alternatively, you could use sesame oil pulling for canker sores. The ozonated oil very also effective from the studies conducted and published in the US National Library of Medicine
2. Canker Sores Saltwater
Salt is a natural disinfectant that can destroy the bacteria. Swish the mouth with salt water to kills bacteria present in canker sores. It will cure and give you faster relief.
Simply mix one teaspoon of table salt in a cup of lukewarm water. Swish salt water in your mouth for about half a minute. Then spit it off and wash your mouth with fresh lukewarm water.
It’s that simple. So do it.
3. Basil Leaves for Canker Sores
Basil is anti-microbial by nature and helps to prevent infections. All that you need to do is just chew the leaves in your mouth to keep your mouth healthy. Basil leaves also clears canker sores in your mouth. Basil leaves is natural dentistry.
For canker sores, soak some basil leaves in a cup of hot water for a few minutes. Once the hot water cools down swish inside your mouth.
4. Fenugreek leaves and the effects in Canker Sores
Fenugreek is being used for many ailments as a home remedy and has a close relationship to the natural dentistry. This herb has many vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, calcium, iron, zinc, carotene, riboflavin and phosphorous.
You could add fenugreek leaves to your food to make it as part of your diet for various health benefits including improving the immune system.
For canker sores swish fenugreek in your mouth to get relief.
Just mix one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in the cup of lukewarm water. Use the solution to swish within your mouth to get rid of canker sores.
5. Cayenne pepper and Canker Sores
Spicy food can cause irritation in canker sores except with Cayenne pepper. Because the chemical capsaicin present in cayenne pepper prevents bacteria growth. So, the cayenne pepper is handy as a natural home remedy for canker sores.
Powder the cayenne pepper and mix it with lukewarm water and make a paste. Apply the paste with a finger or a cotton swab right on the canker sores. Repeat three times a day for faster relief from canker sores.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is used for many common ailments as a home remedy. It is handy for canker sores, however, need care on the usage. For some, it can work the other way than expected.
The acidic acid of apple cider vinegar kills bacteria to help to cure canker sores. However, for some due to the acidic nature of apple cider vinegar could cause irritation.
- Mix one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water
- Rinse your mouth by swishing with the solution for about a minute.
- Finally, rinse your mouth with fresh lukewarm water thoroughly.
- Repeat every day till the canker sores disappear.
7. Canker Sores Baking Soda
The acids in your mouth can cause irritation in canker sores. The alkaline base in the baking soda is capable of neutralizing acids present in your mouth and by which it eases any irritation in canker sores.
Additionally, baking soda also kills and controls the growth of bacteria. Hence you can expect canker sores to heal rapidly.
- In a cup of lukewarm water mix two teaspoons of baking soda.
- Rinse your mouth by swishing with this solution.
- Finally, rinse and swish your mouth with fresh lukewarm water.
8. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is used as a natural home remedy for healing wounds and a pain reliever. This herb comes with antiseptic and anti-inflammation properties. These properties are responsible for healing and soothing canker sores.
Simply dip chamomile tea sachet in water and then place for a while on top of the canker sores.
Rinsing mouth by swishing with brewed chamomile tea also works well. Repeat three times a day.
9. Sage Tea
For oral problems, the sage tea has been used as a mouthwash for ages. It is because of the inherited properties such as anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antibacterial and astringent of the sage tea. These properties work to cure canker sores in the mouth.
Sage mouthwash can be bought in pharmacies. You also can make your own sage tea mouthwash.
- Take two teaspoons of fresh sage leaves in a cup.
- Add boiling water to it.
- Let it steep for about 5 minutes.
- Strain the solution and let it cool down.
- Rinse your mouth by swishing the solution in your mouth.
- Finally, spit and rinse your mouth with fresh water.
10. Zinc Supplements for Canker Sores
Sometimes, zinc deficiency may cause canker sores. Opt for taking zinc supplements regularly.
About 50 to 100 percent reduction of canker sores observed after taking zinc supplements.
Alternatively, try zinc lozenges that are easy to take to treat canker sores.
Get advice from a doctor to ensure no high dosage of zinc.
A final word in canker sores home remedies
You may too lazy to try any of the above home remedies for canker sores. Just try applying butter over the canker sores many times a day. It works and gone in a single day.
Please share your experience in curing canker sores using home remedies below for a benefit of all the readers.